Choosing the right spreader is important for durability, dependability, capability, and compatibility. Major features to consider include:
Poly Hopper Construction
- Does not rust or corrode.
- Will not pit, scratch or scale.
- Non-stick characteristics; encourages material flow.
- Less than half the weight of comparable steel-built units; less wear and tear to your truck…and your back!
- More consistent flow of material.
- Reduces clumping, which can clog the discharge chute.
- With spinner control alone, the only way to change distribution volume is by adjusting truck speed.
- Units with both auger and spinner control allow for more control.
- Auger adjustment controls material flow/volume.
- Spinner control adjusts distribution pattern.
- ￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼Bear in mind that not all spreaders are capable of spreading sand.
- If you intend to spread sand, look for a spreader with at least the ability to spread a 50/50 mix of ice melter and sand.
- Spreaders are available that can spread 100% sand or 100% salt.
- Consider the warranty. This will give you some insight as to how well the manufacturer expects its equipment to perform.
- Spreader maintenance should not be labor intensive. Look at how the spreader is engineered and designed. Simplicity of design and corrosion- resistant construction will allow the spreader to perform in more harsh environments…and for longer durations.